Friday, February 27, 2015

Not much

The last few weeks have been the least productive runs ever. I have been checking local maps online and town websites to see when their garbage pick up days are, and I think next week I might check out a new area to see what it's like. The large item pick up days are coming up soon, and I'm really looking forward to it.

So let's check out my measly finds :P

This nice big basket sat right on top of a full garbage can. There was still shredded paper and shiny tinsel filling on the bottom with a ripped tag hanging off of the handle. I think it said something about jam on it, so it was probably one of those food filled gift baskets. We put gift baskets together as prizes for my kid's school Christmas fundraiser, so this will be saved until then.



I stopped at another pile because I thought I saw a small table. It turns out it was totally wrecked, but with it was this box full of cd-roms. 


They are mostly french educational games for kids. They'll go to the second hand store where I'm sure they will sell quickly, especially the Lego disks.


Inside the plastic bag was some Playdoh stuff. I used to love this barber set when I was a kid. The animal one is just a knock off brand, but the same fun concept.


Another pile had a bunch of reno and construction junk along with this chair. It has a small tear in the faux leather, but since it's so funky and solid, I'm going to take it on as another recovering project.



On the subject of recovering chairs, my thumb finally felt ok enough to try to tackle recovering the 2 chairs I showed you in my last entry. As suspected, the washable covers did not wash well at all. The stains were permanent, so I just threw them out and went right to recovering the seats. It took a lot longer than I thought, about 2 hours, and after it was all done, my thumb was not happy with me. 

Here is how they turned out. I just have to do a tiny bit of paint touch ups, and then I'll be listing them for sale. :)


So all in all, not the greatest haul, but I still ended up with donations for the thrift store, a project to keep me busy, and something that will net me a bit of spending money. In the end, I think I still win :P

8 comments :

  1. Your chair recover looks awesome and I love the little chair with the faux leather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been taking it easy because I figure mid-February isn't a great time for hunting. The end of the month might still be good, though... I made some decent finds this week.

    Diversification is key. If one neighbourhood isn't producing, go to another.

    I can't wait for spring, and especially summer. Everything about trash picking is just so much easier, and people definitely move / toss more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're definitely over the hump now, it can only get better weather wise, right? :)

      Delete
  3. well done for going out looking with your poorly thumb. Was wondering how you were managing with it but looking at the chairs and the great job you've done, you're doing just fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - great fabric on the chairs - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The orange faux leather chair has such a cool 50s/60s vibe. Nice job on the recovering the other chairs. :) - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the recovering of the chairs!! I predict they will sell quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete